We warmly invite you to participate in a one-day symposium on 1 June 2019 (Saturday) at HKBU. The theme is Confluence: An ensemble of ELT pedagogies. The symposium is a wonderful platform for participants to share pedagogical ideas, to disseminate ELT research findings, and to celebrate teacher professional learning. It also presents you with a precious opportunity to establish networks in the TESOL community.
An ensemble of pedagogies
The symposium welcomes two types of submissions:
· Lesson demonstrations
· Classroom research presentations
A lesson demonstration (30 minutes) enables teachers to share an actual lesson with learning materials and samples of their students’ work. It can be a rewarding lesson that you have previously carried out, or a try-out lesson for you to explore a teaching idea. During the demonstration, you should exemplify the lesson steps and rationales, highlight areas that can be adopted and adapted by other teachers, and illustrate the materials used.
A classroom research presentation (20 minutes) is intended for participants with an interest in practice-oriented research that informs ELT pedagogies. During the presentation, you should introduce the background and methodological approach to your research, highlight relevant findings, and discuss their implications for classroom practice.
All topics and major skill areas of ELT are welcome. Major skill areas include (but are not limited to) the teaching of listening, speaking, reading, writing, vocabulary and grammar, as well as the use of modern technology, text types, language arts activities and games to activate English language learning.
· Venue: 2/F, Academic & Administration Building, HKBU, 15 Baptist University Road, Kowloon Tong
· Contributors & audience: TESOL community (e.g. primary, secondary & university teachers of English, school principals, teacher educators)
· To present at the symposium: Send an abstract (200–250 words) of your intended lesson or classroom research together with a bio-note (50 words) via the Google Form by 10 March 2019 (Sunday).
· To attend the symposium (as a non-presenter): Fill in the Google Form by 28 April 2019 (Sunday).
· Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/CbD8GHYne9QFQliB2
· Notification of accepted abstracts: 20 March 2019 (Wednesday)
· Contributors will be automatically registered for the symposium
should their submissions be accepted.
· Participation is free of charge.
We will compile and publish a selection of the lesson and research materials into an edited booklet.
Presenters and registered participants will receive their certificates on the day.
As presentation spaces are limited, you are urged to make a submission before the deadline of 10 March 2019 (Sunday).
We look forward to receiving your submissions and meeting you in our festival of learning.
For further information, please feel free to visit our web page: https://copheadstart.wixsite.com/hkbu-educ-cop2/the-symposium